Sunday, July 29, 2012

One final day of hauling across America


Day 3

I don’t want to call this the end…maybe the beginning. I shot out of Amarillo, Texas before the sun came up today, and was into New Mexico before it decided to make its appearance. The American Southwest is spectacular, and I’m excited to be living here. At least through June…
Observations from the road:
1.       Awesome spread of stars this morning, Texas!
2.       The sunrise in New Mexico was amazing. The sky stayed cream sicle orange around the sun for far longer than it had any right to. And the light on the red ground…great.
3.       New Mexico itself was spectacular. Buttes, canyons, washes, ravines, plateaus, mesas…startling to look at for a New Jersey boy.
4.       It’s clear why they call it Red Rock Park.
5.       Mystery road kill! Can’t figure out what might kind of look like a deer but be black.
6.       Elk signs everywhere…no elk…I’m afraid we may be looking at another moose situation.
7.       Five or six small deer…or antelope…or whatever they are here. Smaller than our white tailed deer though.
8.       After the fourth hour of it, I got tired of driving through mountains. I think my car did, too.
9.       The Rio Grande!
10.   The Continental Divide!
11.   A twelve mile, 6% downgrade that brought me down several thousand feet just before I reached Bullhead City…a place I’m aiming to set up shop.
12.   Needles, California, where I’m spending at least one night.
13.   Authentic Mexican food outside of Flagstaff.
Song of the day: How Far We’ve Come (Dawes)
Meal of the day: Since I only had one, I’ll go with the tacos…shredded beef wrapped in a fried tortilla. Delicious.
Tomorrow: Off to the school in which I will teach to meet my new boss, see my classroom, be productive. Off to hopefully see some apartments.
Tonight: Learning how to iron! Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment