Monday, July 23, 2012

July (Part 1 of 2)


So this is really my first opportunity to sit down after a whirlwind of a month that saw me in 9 states, one Canadian Provence (more times than I’d initially hoped for, but more on that later), and one First Nation Reservation.  Until Saturday, I had spent exactly 5 nights of July in New Jersey, and including last night seven nights in an actual bed. Pull out couches do not count.
The last week of June found me in Irwin, Pennsylvania, a little town outside of Pittsburgh on a home repair Mission Trip with our middle school youth. To characterize that as an awesome experience would be a little overdone, since I say that every year. There were a lot of elements to this year’s trip that made it more rewarding than some in the past (last year’s stress-fest comes to mind). For one, I was lucky enough to be teamed up with nine great youth from all around the country, and two other great adults. It wasn’t long until we realized we were “that crew”…the loud ones, the ones who had a ton of fun and gelled very quickly into a cohesive unit. We finished our project, painting the exterior of a home, with a little time to spare, which made things even better. On top of that, the resident of the home was one of the most incredible people I have ever met. At 102 years young, she showed so much verve and life; she had more life in her than some of the 20-somethings I know.
 Upon meeting her, she’s been blind since the mid-nineteen eighties, she asked us all to shake her hand, and then corrected those who did not give her a good handshake. I was relieved to have passed the test (credit to my Dad). Someone then asked her what the secret to living to reach 100 years of age was, and her response was so simple it’s forever locked in my memory. She told us, “Smile when you wake up, smile again when you go to bed, and if you can’t laugh you might as well push up the daisies.” She truly embodied that mantra, as she was often laughing and sarcastic and really just a joy to be around for our short time with her.
Most incredible thing about her? Her best friend is also 102 years old. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment