Monday, December 15, 2014

Oh. Hey there.

Hey.

I’ve missed you, and it’s my fault.

It has been a crazy time in my life. Since last we spoke (May...MAY?!) my life has changed SO MUCH.

I left you in Tennessee last time, so I’ve added a summer in New Jersey, a move to Richmond, VA,  a brand new job and a marriage. All of those were wonderful, and amazing, and a ton of fun. I live near old friends and I’m making new. I married an amazing human being with such love for the world she lives in, such compassion and care for others that it blows me away everyday. We had a beautiful ceremony that feels like a blur because I was REALLY FOCUSED on not screwing up. We had a blast at the reception which included 10 different styles of craft beers from the places we have lived: Arizona, Louisiana, New Jersey and Virginia. I decorated (applied Colleen's ideas) the reception hall with Sean and Eric while Colleen picked up friends from the airport, and not only did I not screw it up, IT LOOKED AWESOME. I've been blessed enough to join a wonderful, welcoming family. I have lived some of the greatest times of my life since we chatted last.

I’ve struggled, too. I’ve left a job I loved. I’ve lived with the concern and struggle of not having a job (a very stressful handful of months that included interview after interview). I’ve moved twice in 4 months, one 2500 miles and one over 300. I’ve adjusted to a new home, a new routine, a school laden with technology. I’ve changed my way of doing things in the classroom to meet cutting edge educational practices and technologies while retaining what I think made me effective. I’ve seen my uncle’s health fail.

A word on that. My uncle, a man who gets as much credit (blame) as anyone for me being who I am was diagnosed with brain cancer in the spring of 2012. I firmly believe that his very existence makes this world a better place. Cancer really sucks.

I’ve had days where I’ve come home on fire with excitement about my students, and their progress, and their successes, and days when I’ve been unable to do much more than sit on the floor.

My biggest mistake, in all of this, was not taking you all along for the ride. I have lived the highest of highs in my life so far, and struggled through some deep valleys. Consider this my promise to take you along with me next time, and not just tell you about it afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment