Saturday, July 20, 2013

"Let's write it while we still got time"

The last week of summer was packed with all sorts of excitement. On my final Monday home, Sean, Blazak, Morgen and I went to New York to see the Yankees play the Royals.  We headed up to the city early to explore Manhattan…specifically the Strand bookstore, in all of its enormous glory. Floor upon floor of books, a ton of neat rare books.
But that wasn't the important part. We started out hungry, so we hit Mighty Quinn’s BBQ.  When you open the door, the smell of smoke wanders out and drags you inside. Pulled pork, brisket, smoked sausage on buns that clearly are made there or nearby. No store bought stuff here. And they have a great selection of brews on tap. I enjoyed a smoked sausage sandwich, an Allagash Black stout and a Founder’s IPA. There’s a place I’ll go back to.
After lunch, and after the bookstore, we headed off to McSorley’s. A place that needs no introduction, this Irish pub has sawdust on the floor and you have two options for beer: light or dark. Both are spectacular.
After McSorleys, we stopped at one more Irish pub, enjoyed another local brew and a little Jameson, and went to the Stadium. As beautiful as ever, but a little palatial. We got rained on, but stuck out most of the game, and got a Derek Jeter bobble head give away. That item now sits on my desk at school.

On Wednesday, I took Jayden fishing. We caught sunnies at Wells Mills Park, had a hotdog and a rootbeer at Stewart’s. I do love spending time with that kid.

I seem to have a habit of hiding big news at the bottom of posts. My announcement that I was staying in Arizona this year comes to mind, as I hid that in a previous post. This news, I suspect, is no exception.
When Colleen was out west, we went to Petrified Forest National Park…there are rocks that used to be trees there! While we were there, we bought a couple pairs of earrings made from petrified wood.  While I was home this summer, I dropped one pair off at a jeweler to have one made into a ring. I could not believe how difficult it was to find someone who would mount a piece of petrified wood! It has a hardness akin to diamonds, but so many places wouldn't touch it…big ups to Blaine’s Jewelry Box in Brick for taking on the challenge. And for doing a badass job.
 So, on July 9th, I took Jayden up to camp to play (and give him something to do while mom had her surgery).  While he was off having a great time, Colleen and I sat on the fishing dock, and I offered that rock (formerly tree) back to her.  Now, she wears it on her left hand.
I just want to go through my life announcing that I’m crazy about her... but we are both fairly private people, and she is generally much more understated than I am. So let me just say how happy I am that I make her happy, and that she’s made that promise to me. I am the luckiest guy ever.


One final note…I brought a little tabby cat back to Arizona with me. She is a very sweet little critter, and has been very nice to have around…except for when she broke loose from her carrier and almost escaped into the airplane.  I managed to catch her, unstring my left shoe, and tie the carrier shut. Since then, she’s been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment