Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Let's write the rules five times each...


Well. I’m about two weeks into teaching, and it’s been a bit of a culture shock. After working with middle school students for several years, I thought I knew what to expect…

The differences in expectations between the East Coast and here are kind of amazing. I came from a building that expected me to give homework, and a lot of it, every night. Here, thirty minutes of reading is all that’s expected…and I find myself doing loads of extra prepping with all the free time this has given me. I still arrive about an hour before I’m supposed to, but instead of grading homework and writing assignments, I’m prepping PowerPoints and getting ready to facilitate group work on a scale that’s a little new to me.

The kids, too, are reeling a little bit from my style and my expectations of how hard they’ll work. They’re in a new school, and adjusting to things like lockers and switching classes is an exciting thing, sure. But they are still learning that the elementary school nonsense isn’t going to fly in middle school…especially with someone who cut his teeth as a substitute teacher on the East Coast. They’re working harder daily than I think they expected, and I can already tell the students who are applying themselves, embracing the material, and extending their knowledge…and the ones who are fighting it and thinking that teachers are like the T-Rex…if they sit still I can’t see them.

They have another thing coming. Case-in-point: They had to practice walking down the hallway four times today because they couldn’t a)stop touching lockers b) walk in a straight line c) stop touching lockers.

“I guess the fourth time’s the charm, isn’t it,” I asked them.

Nobody answered. Good thing. : )

So we are all learning about each other, and what to expect from each other, and testing each other to see just how well (or poorly) this year could go.

I’m confident it’ll be great.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment